What is a WhatsApp Channel?
With the recent WhatsApp updates, you may have noticed the introduction of ‘WhatsApp Channels’ and may be curious about they are all about. Essentially, these channels provide a private way for individuals to receive updates directly from their preferred influencers and celebrities on WhatsApp, without the need to switch to a social media platform.
What are your impressions of this development? It appears that Meta has strategic plans to transform WhatsApp into a hybrid messaging and social application, blending elements of both functionalities.
Channels are a one-way broadcast tool for admins to send text, photos, videos, stickers, and polls. Channels can be found in a new tab called Updates on WhatsApp – where you’ll find Status and channels you choose to follow – separate from your chats with family, friends, and communities. A channel won’t reveal your phone number to the admin or other followers. Who you decide to follow is your choice and it’s private.
WhatsApp Channels is still in its early stages of development, but it has the potential to be a powerful tool for communication and engagement. It could also make WhatsApp more competitive with other social media platforms, such as Instagram and TikTok.
Once the channel option becomes available for you, you can easily create your own channel by following these steps:
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp on your phone or WhatsApp web on Desktop and navigate to the Channels section.
- Step 2: Click the + (plus) sign and choose Create channel.
- Step 3:Tap Get started Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Step 4: Provide a channel name to finalize your channel creation.
- Step 5: Customize your channel (optional):
- Add a channel description: Write a brief description to help potential followers understand the purpose of your channel.
- Add a channel icon: Make your channel stand out by adding an image from your phone or the web.
- Step 6: Click Create channel and you’re all set!
How to access your channel info page and share your channel:
- Open the Channels section by clicking the Channels icon.
- Click on your channel, and then select your channel’s name.
- Click “Copy link” to easily share your channel with others.
Directory: where you can find channels to follow that are automatically filtered based on your country. You can also view channels that are new, most active, and popular based on the number of followers.
Reactions: you can react using emojis to give feedback and see a count of total reactions. How you react will not be shown to followers.
Forwarding: whenever you forward an Update to chats or groups, it will include a link back to the channel so people can find out more.